Skip to main content

Praying for Future Spouse and/or Current Spouse

I got into a great conversation recently while getting a haircut with my oh-so-favorite salon gal, Chris.  She's the best.  She knows just when to talk during my visit, and just when to be quiet and respect my alone time having bugged out of the house alone and child-free.

The Power of a Praying® Wife Deluxe Edition
Our visits over the years have revealed a lot about Chris.  She's Catholic, but not a 'bible thumper' (her words), she's about my age (hum...mid-30's), and she basically raised her younger sister when her own mother passed in her teen years.  She's independent, outspoken, and lastly, she absolutely loves my kids.  She has become the only one I will allow to come near them with a pair of scissors.  She is an amazing hair stylist and overall one amazing woman.  Over the years, we have talked about all kinds of issues, from Catholic schools to my marriage, from child-rearing to grocery shopping. 

During most of our conversations, it usually turns to her wanting to get married.  She's a single gal looking for that Mr. Right, and she's mostly found Mr. Wrong, hum...Mr. Way-Wrong.  She often reminds me how fortunate I am that I found the love of my life so early in life, high school to be exact.  I have often responded, that I am unsure how I could cope in today's dating scene.

At my last haircut appointment, she mentioned how she has begun dating someone.  She lit up talking about him, and she seemed so happy.  Of course, knowing the past conversations we've had, and how difficult it was to simply meet good men, I asked her, "How did you meet?"

She said it all began with asking God for her spouse.  She had dated, was even engaged for a while, but to men who weren't the best for her, and she knew it.  Recently, she simply made an effort to daily ask God to bring the man she was to marry before her....and the grace to be open when he presented himself.  She said, "I asked God to bring me my spouse.  'No more jerks, Lord, just no more jerks.'"

She insisted God brought this man into her life and that she's finally open.  She said she had known him for a while, at her other job, working at the airport.  (Working multiple jobs to put her sister through college!)  She said that she regularly says a prayer, just prior to a plane taking off, for the pilot, the passengers as well as the workers on the ground.  She wears a headset, and one day, for whatever reason...she said her prayers aloud.

A gentleman who heard her prayers on the head-set, came to find her.  He'd only heard her voice on the headset for months and months, but after hearing her prayers, he told her later, that someone who would even think to pray, let alone OUTLOUD, was worth the effort to track down and ask out for dinner.  They have been dating for about six months now, and she's unsure of the future, but she knows, if you ask God, he delivers, one way or another.

I was amazed at her story.  What can God do when you give Him the chance to work?  Wow.  It not only reminded me to teach my own children the value of prayer, especially prayer for a future spouse, it reminded me, that I need to pray more for my HH.  If I give God the chance to work, what might He do for HH, as a spouse, a husband, father.  The possibilities are endless.

Lord Jesus, grant that I and my spouse may have a true and understanding love for each other. Grant that we may both be filled with faith and trust. Give us the grace to live with each other in peace and harmony. May we always bear with one another's weaknesses and grow from each other's strengths. Help us to forgive one another's failings and grant us patience, kindness, cheerfulness and the spirit of placing the well-being of one another ahead of self.


May the love that brought us together grow and mature with each passing year. Bring us both ever closer to You through our love for each other. Let our love grow to perfection. Amen.
from http://www.catholic.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom