Skip to main content

Working for the Church

So, I started working part time in order to offset the financial pressures that we feel from time to time.  (I suppose even my blog title is all wrong now...) Anyhoo, it's an interesting dynamic working for the Church.  I can't tell you how interwoven Faith is into normal life events.  I know, it's a no-brainer, of course, Faith is meant to be so apart of our natural every day.  But I guess when I think of 'work', I generally didn't think it would touch my heart and the hearts of others in such profound ways.

Working with a gal at the office, she explained something to me that really touched my heart.  She told me how a parent's journey often begins with a call to the Church. They need a baptism.  Then when the child is old enough, they need 1st Communion.  Then, when the child is old enough, Confirmation is requested.  Weddings are performed, Anointing of the Sick is administered and so on and so forth. People calling the Church in order to see when Confession times are, or Mass times or a time to sit with the Pastor.  Funerals are requested.  It's all a window into the hearts and souls of Catholic people. People call often to request a Mass for someone who had passed, or for a birth or anniversary.  They remember their dead, schedule rosary groups and the list goes on and on.

I can't tell you, just by typing, how profound it is to contemplate all in one day, the many facets of a Catholic person's life that the Church supports, embraces and assists so one may live their Faith more fully.  It's a rare thing.  And recently, I've seen this small bird's eye view of people living their Faith as quite a blessing and privilege.  People really do live authentically Catholic, and for this ol' girl, who's often pessimistic, it's a light in an other-wise dark world.

And isn't that what we are supposed to be: a light in this dark world?

I tell you, seeing and hearing one day's worth of activity in a parish office makes me more positive and hopeful for the future - not only of the future of the Church as a whole, but indeed hopeful for the future of man kind.  Prayers are storming heaven even as we speak.  Masses are being said for every intention imaginable all around the world.  If God never tires of hearing prayers, then we are in good hands.

The Church isn't always politically correct or in line with our secular culture.  No it's not meant to be.  It's supposed to be that home that is always there for you, in good times like a wedding or birth, as well as in sickness, (anointing of the sick) and yes, even when we make mistakes, we sin and can make good in the eyes of God and our community via confession.  Yes, she is even there for you, when you die.  In all ways, our Church, our Faith is there to lean on, strengthen us and give us hope for the future.  It's a light, when all we see is dark.  Our Church is often called "Mother Church", and I admit, I am not sure I always saw it this way or understood the title.  But when I type here, that Church is meant to be home for us, to keep us in line, on the path to holiness and so on and so forth, all at the same time as loving us for who we are, doesn't that sound just like the job of Mom?

Moms aren't meant to be politically correct either.  We don't sway our own resolve after one of our children tells us "Well, his Mom lets him to do it!"  Moms are home to our kids.  We love them thru joyous occasions and celebrate with them, we love them thru sad ones and cry with them.  We hold the line more often than not, and we give encouragement and strength to those around us.

Why God brought this job to me at this particular time, I may never know.  It's one of those things I simply marvel at, as He is working all the time... seeing the needs of us all, and while yes, one of the needs was financial, perhaps He is working much, much deeper here.  It's a slow, soul transformation that I am sure was desperately needed.

To see hope and light, for me, is tough.  And perhaps He's showing me every day just what that hope and light is all about.  What a great adventure He sets us on!

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom