Skip to main content

Motherhood in the Age of Technology

Yikes - check out this story on Fox news: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,536294,00.html

This is exactly why I refuse to post pictures on various public sites like Picasa, blogs, face book, My Space and others. Besides the countless technology savvy predators out there, this type of thing scares the beggious out of me. Am I being paranoid? Overprotective? How do we as mothers live in the Age of Information and Technology with some semblance of common sense.

Let's face it. Do a little digging, and you'll be shocked at what you might find. We can't live in fear, but we can be cautious. We can be smart. We can be knowledgeable. I don't all in all object to some of these sites where people can share their lives with others in an instant. I think in some cases, it actually could be helpful. HOWEVER, you must be educated on what exactly you are doing, who might actually have access to it, it is public, private? Know what the site does with all the info it gathers. Questions such as these are mandatory when using your common sense.

No matter what, there are risks involved in our every day activities, a trip to the grocery store can, in one flash of a second, turn into a trip to the ER when the cart tips over....We are not immune to tragedy, or predators that might follow you through the store. But what we DO have is that God given instinct to protect, keep them close, divert their eyes, walk a bit faster, pick them up when necessary.

Back when I had just one kid, a baby at the time, 6 or 9 months old....I was at a Church (not sure of denomination) rummage sale. You'd think the safest place in the world. I walked through the inside sale, and found myself being followed through the aisles. For some reason I was alone in a back corner area....holding my baby in my arms. I had a sick feeling in my stomach all of a sudden, and then I turned the corner, to find the man who was following me, ready to greet me suddenly. He said "What a beautiful baby"....as I kept walking past him I murmured "thanks"....and right then, he stretched out his arms, assuming I would let him hold her....he said "Let me take the baby for you, so you can shop". My stomach churned....."Hum, no thanks, I'm leaving." He insisted, "Please? I'd love to hold her." I said a firm "No." And in one swift motion turned my back to his ready arms physically making contact with him to avoid his hands on my child. I never walked so fast.

This incident opened my eyes. Big time. This wasn't the last time something strange like this has happened. Too many times, I have felt that sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach, and I thank God for that instinct....that "something isn't right" feeling. Trust it, ladies. God gave you that gift so you might protect your little ones from harm.

So let us use our common sense, not in fear, but the recognition of a certain truth: There are those out there who can't be trusted. We live in a pagan age....we must understand that, and act accordingly when the situation presents itself. We are our kids last line of defense.

Below is a link to a Dr. Laura site - thought it had good info on social networking sites and things to look for: 
http://www.drlaura.com/sah/sahd.html?mode=view&tile=1&id=18269

Comments

Caring Mom said…
Whoa!!! So scary! Especially the part where you were at the rummage sale...wow...thank God you were on your toes. I love these posts. Thanks for sharing with us.

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom