Skip to main content

A Birthday Trifecta

Oh, how my mind imagines such a joyful Advent, such a time of waiting, anticipating and hearing the carols to bring my mind into the Christmas Season.  I can picture leisurely afternoons of decorating Christmas cookies and enjoying every minute of the painstakingly long process of decorating the house, each tinsel thread so delicately hung with care.  I imagine the excitement building as my husband and I sit by the fire, telling stories to our children of the coming Baby Jesus. 

I see it all, so perfectly calculated in my mind's eye, and yet, I am always surprised when it doesn't happen just so.  The past three weeks of Advent, have been rushed, crossing things off a to-do list, and one by one, realizing there just isn't enough hours in the day to accomplish it all.

It is a busy month, there is no doubt.  The long lines in the stores prove the point, that we all scurry here and there to accomplish all our set out goals for Christmas.  This month for us, we celebrate two of our little girls' birthdays as well, and already we find weeks passing in Advent without our nativity set up yet, without a Christmas tree, without ornaments to gaze at or Holy Family statuettes to be inspired by.

Certainly, it shouldn't take these things to set the mood of the season.  Advent is waiting, I get that, however, in all the bustle, I started to lose the point of it all.  I started to be one of the people who run from here to there, without really living the reason for all the work I was doing.  It was work to do work, not thinking of the why. 

And then it hit me....I NEED those nativity sets out with the baby Jesus missing to contemplate the scene, think about the reality of what we are all waiting for.  I NEED the tree up, decorated with our families ornaments, the ones that say "First Baby's Christmas" or some home made treasure that my 1st grader made last year.  I NEED to smell the pine, see the lights and pass by a few empty mangers to get it all into perspective. 

Now, we normally wait until after Serious' birthday before putting up the tree, working to be considerate of both girls' birthdays and not allow them to be overshadowed.  Recently I had a great chat with a fellow Mom at school, who commented that Christmas must seem so short for us, as we wait so long.  I agreed with her, it is short, the tree is up and then down in the span of only two weeks most years, in that effort to balance birthdays with Christmas.  She then talked about her own birthday being close to Christmas, and never found herself resentful of the holiday.  She said, it was always special, that she had her own special day, but with a bonus, all the additional decorations and goodies always made her feel especially blessed to have her birthday in the month of December. 

Wow.  I never looked at it that way.  I've seen first hand in my own family how a December birthday, close to Christmas, can be overshadowed, can be sacrificed on some level in order to embrace the Christmas season.  But I had never seen it as this fellow Mom had put it to me.  If a parent makes a point to make that birthday girl feel special, then all the rest is extra, not competition. 

And that made sense.  This Advent being a bit crazy, trying to fit it all in, and taking into account this fellow Mom's perspective, I started to talk with HH about a possible new strategy in dealing with December birthdays and Christmas. 

I started to notice my own other children's disappointment that no decorations had been put up yet, how even my Serious asked to get our tree up and decorated, how Entertainer loved the planning involved in Christmas gift giving.  They have been raised in a home that would never let a birthday go by without special fan-fare, but also have been raised in a home where we look to the deeper meaning of Christmas often, contemplate the reason for all the hubba-baloo, and believe deeply in the gift that God gave to us, in His Son.

I, especially, noticed how I wasn't the only one who needed to see the tangible elements of Christmas, to feel and live the spirit of this time of year.  We decorate to remind us of the 'whys' we do all that we do.  We put out nativities to have physical reminders of why we are generous, why we give a bit more, try a little more, or love a little deeper.  It's not always easy to give when we don't feel like it.  But at Christmas we remember our little gifts for others, are for a greater purpose, a larger mission. 

I am seriously considering leaving our nativities all year round.  We should always have reminders around us to silently speak to us, to show us ultimately why we do what we do, to soften our hearts to keep us alert and ready at all times.

Some of us are more visual in our needs, and shifting our focus from the to-dos  to the blessings of such a season has not only changed a few hearts in this house, it has made us happier, more compassionate, and light hearted.  This weekend, we spent time and prepared our home and hearts for the coming of God's gift to us.  We looked over and gazed into the ornaments of the past, wondered at the empty mangers and talked over how even Santa goes to pray before the newborn King before handing out his gifts.

So, did we sit by the fire, drink the hot cocoa, watch the snow fall, while discussing the theology of such a season?  No, we didn't, and maybe we won't get there.  I don't know.  What I do know, is that we took time together as a family.  I talked with Babe before bedtime to ask him where the Baby Jesus was.  His answer, so sweet, "I don't know, Momma". 

"He's coming, soon.  Soon it will be His birthday, He was a little boy just like you.  Do you know that?"

Babe answers, "Momma, I'm big boy.  I not a baby!"

My first reflection this Advent, comes via this little three year old little boy, who reminded me what little boys are like....and how Our Lady must have found little ways to teach about God. Mary must have found a kind of balance in her own family life, to not only celebrate but to teach and contemplate herself, the deeper meanings behind it all.  She must have, in order to not only live it, but infuse her family with it. 

So, some times, it does begin with us, as the Mothers of our homes.  If we are scattered, then so is everyone else.  If we are focused, and centered, then it transmits to those around us.  It's a gift and a responsibility to set the tone of our homes.  Let it begin this Advent.  Let it begin with us. 

As we sing our "Happy Birthday" to our little girls in only a few short days, it brings to all our minds, just how grateful we are to have the gift of life.  It's a gift, that God had a hand in, so intimately, so delicately, and how even He lived the human experience, born of a woman, so helpless and defenseless.  And ultimately His mission is ours too, to obey and live the Will of the Father. 

May this Advent be a time of waiting, and living the celebration of life, grateful for breath in our lungs, food on our table, and a Savior willing to be born, to suffer, to die, in order that we might have true and eternal life.

Comments

My daughter's birthday is Dec. 27. She LOVES Christmas, and pretty much has always gotten to celebrate her birthday for a whole week, since every time we visit (or have visitors) someone will stick a candle in the dessert and sing to her.

I scaled back on what decorations I set out this year--but I also decided that if my family asks for something specific that I left in the box, I'll set that out as well.

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom