Skip to main content

Limits and Worth

Many times I have mentioned moving into a new chapter in our family's life.  The kids are growing fast, even Babe is turning four years old in a few short months.  Life is certainly easier in a lot of ways, no diapers to change, babies to nurse or heavy car seats to lug here and there.  We are sleeping through the night, we are eating together as a family, no more baby food jars, no more high chairs or sippy cups. 

Where have those days gone? 

When Mom is in the thick of these things, it seems like we'll never get out of it.  We imagine this is our state in life, this perpetual high demand of laborious tasks, with our energy tank at near empty again and again.  It becomes a way of life.  We adjust, our bodies even get used to living on less and less sleep.  We make a certain peace with this way of life, and it's hard to imagine a time when it will be behind us.

I didn't see this day coming, just as I am sure most Moms can't see beyond the many details we are consumed with. 

And here I am, with a bit of sadness and a bit of joy.  I see God's wisdom in moving us all forward into the next chapter, I can see a beauty in this time of a family's life, where focus can shift, sharpen and move us all beyond sleepless nights and baby gear. 

And it begs the question....what now?

There are many opportunities, many areas that need time and attention whether outside the home or inside it.  I find an array opening up, I see many ways to find myself again, those hobbies, those creative outlets that I had to neglect in order to tend to my babies. 

I admit, perhaps I threw myself into projects full force, looking for ways to grow on personal, creative and spiritual levels.  The past six months or so have definitely taught me lessons on all fronts.  There was one lesson, indeed, that I wasn't quite prepared for, being consumed with family for so long, babies and the endless list of demands.

See, being a Stay at Home Mom can be very isolating, and we do reach out as best we can to find support, encouragement and adult conversation to keep sanity.  But the lesson I learned was about mingling with other women.  I've been consumed with outside the home projects the past six months, volunteering and such, and generally whenever working side by side with other women, I have had few issues to contend with.....save one.

I abhor drama.  I can't stand competition.  I avoid gossip, cattiness, and overall anything that detracts from the mission at hand.  I've taken a few days to review the past six months.  I've spent time evaluating what exactly was going on, if I but read between the lines. If I was a bit more competitive, if I was a bit more savvy in business strategies, if I was a bit more aggressive, then I would have seen what was happening right before my eyes.

I admit it, I allowed myself to be blinded.  I put on those rose-colored glasses in the attempt to be more accepting, more tolerant and overall the nice-guy.  There is a reason nice-guys finish last.  I see that.  I was ill-equipped to handle the games and the politics that got thrown my way.  I assumed being in Catholic circles that the back-bitting wouldn't exist, that our Christian Charity would win the day.

I was wrong.  I witnessed more jocking for position and reputation that I have ever seen in any of my business work days.  I heard women tear each other apart.  I saw game playing, strategic tactics and overall a sense that I just didn't belong.

I consider myself to be simple.  Maybe that's the problem.  I see things on a simple level, not looking for advancement, as I have no needs outside my home.  My home needs me, my children need me, my husband needs me.  I have no need to be in a spot light.  I have little desire to constantly diffuse situations, tempers or emotional outbursts. 

And now I know why.  And just like who God made me to be: simple, the answer of 'why' is simple too.

I don't find my value outside my family.  I don't find my value in volunteer projects.  I don't look for validation from other school Moms.  I don't search out approval.  I stopped that long ago, when I realized my own worth, and where it really came from. 

My worth comes from God.  My value comes from God.  He gave me this life, these children, this husband.  For sure, I know that.  He gave me my vocation, which is Wife and Mother.  I gave myself the endless list of to dos, negativity and drama that came with my outside the home endeavours.  Did He want me to learn something here?  For sure.  Always. 

And the lesson did not escape me.  I learned what my limits are, and where my value lies.  And those two things are paramount.  They are more important than I ever imagined. So many women lack these two things, finding limits and finding value.

I saw myself choose again and again the drama over my limit, choosing the drama over my own value as a mother.  I told myself I was doing God's work, and so no matter the suffering, it was worth it.  No matter what excuses I told myself, it was more important.  God can pick times to show us something that might hurt us a little, but in the long run, helps us focus where we are truly needed the most.

Am I to gain the world, yet lose my own soul, or the souls of my family members?  Is our first job the one He gave us, not the ones we choose for ourselves?  My first job as wife and mother wasn't done.  It will never be.  Yes, we are out of the diaper stage, or making ice cube trays of baby food.  The job changes, evolves into something new.

I misunderstood that.  I can admit it.  I saw freedom, adult interaction and temptations, and rationalized everything I could in order for them to make the most sense.  And a few days of recollection allows for clarity like I haven't seen in a long while.  I can make excuses no more.  We all have limits.  And finally I can put pride aside, and see I have reached mine.

I have made decisions for this 2012 year.  And I know God expects me to see them through.  I will finish my commitment being true to my word, yet I know what the future will hold now.  Of course, the specifics may change, but the guides of how I will live it, is mapped.  And how can I map it?

Because I have learned yet again, my limit and my worth.  Those two things are huge.  More than huge, they are guides given to me by God, to be a better Mother, to be a better Wife, to be what He has called me to be.

And He doesn't call everyone into politics.  He doesn't call everyone into the drama or negativity that I have endured.  He doesn't call us into evil situations.  It exists, yes, and we must work to battle it.  I know that.  But what I have done was to put my family into the cross hairs, and that is something I refuse to do any longer.  I may have been battling evil, but I never intended to pass the baton to my little ones to fight it too.  They aren't ready, they aren't strong enough.  But one day they will be, because I will have been there to build their weapons, to strengthen their Faith in God, to guide them, to love them.

We all fall victim to making mistakes every now and again.  I know I have made mistakes, I know others have too.  The only thing I know, is that I will pick myself back up, as I can see having met my limit.  And this requires me to pray, discern God and re-orientate myself and my true worth as a daughter of God.  The littleness of being His daughter and the grandeur of being His princess.  He needs me to do the job He gave me.  He needs my five little soldiers to be prepared to face the world.  Who will prepare them? 

It's me.  God choose me.

And I pray I don't let Him down.

Comments

Oh, YES. I so get this. I remember a few years and 1 school ago, a fellow volunteer mom was confiding in me about something and mentioned, "You don't gossip" in a relieved voice. Not that a big deal was made about it, but I was glad she realized that and that it let her feel safe in sharing that confidence with me.
When we moved on to the current school I tried to volunteer in the same capacity but found the type of school moms you mention here. It was the toughest year ever for me. I didn't, couldn't, fit in with that. I stuck out the year because I had made a commitment, but refused to commit again. Instead, I volunteered at the school library where I only deal with kids and teachers, not parents. I love it. My help is appreciated and valued, and the kids are great--and that's what it's about, really.
My husband couldn't fathom what I was talking about re: the school moms until he picked up my daughter after some function and saw it all for himself. It's a completely foreign concept to men, especially when they never had sisters!
The volunteering I do now is because I love it, my help is needed, I love it, my kid likes that I'm there, I love it, and oh, did I mention that I love it? I'm on my fifth year of spending half a school day a week in the library, and it's been good for everyone.
I don't know if you've got people telling you that it's time to go look for a job (I have those people in my world; fortunately I am not married to one) but stay strong. You are nurturing your family in a wonderful way. My oldest is 20 now; my 16-year-old daughter knows that she has what many of her friends do not--and she has asked if one of her friends can share in our family dinners once or twice a week because she doesn't get that at home. That is a gift that I am privileged to be able to give to my daughter and her friend. It does not come without sacrifice but I'd rather sacrifice what we do than sacrifice the family life we've built because I'm never home.

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom