Skip to main content

A 6 Year Old's Honesty - Priceless Innocence

Upon returning home yesterday from school, my 6 year old, Serious, asked me if we could talk privately. Once we got alone here's how it went:

We sat down and then I asked, 'Ok, honey, what's up?"
Her little, sweet face reddened, and her breathing pick up it's pace. 'Hum....Mom? I don't really want to tell you...hum....'
I gave her a big hug and said, 'You can tell me anything, sweetheart, what happened today?'
She continues, eyes welling up, face bright red, and her speech is hard to understand, 'Oh, Mom! It's been happening for a long time. It's a big secret!' She begins to stare at the floor as if the next thing she'll tell me is written there on the carpet fibers.

My mind is racing.....secret? What secret? What on earth is she talking about?!
I reassure her, 'You can tell Mom any secret. You know that, right? Any secret, you can tell Mom.'
She asked nervously, 'You won't get mad?'
I gave her another big hug as her tears are rushing and she can hardly speak. 'Honey, please tell me.'

Serious shuffles her feet. She looks to her left, then to her right to check if anyone is within ear shot. She puts her hands on either side of her face, huffing and puffing, and seemingly mustering the strength to go on.

As you can imagine, it is taking all my self control and discipline to remain calm and not think the worst has been happening to my child at school. What could have possibly made her so incredibly upset and distraught? What is this secret that has her torn into pieces? What on earth is she going to tell me? Can I handle what this is?

She finally musters up the strength to spit out the words which went something like this, 'Hum....I am really so sorry......Mom....this is a big secret, Mom....I am sorry, I know at school the teachers say we can't share food, Mom....I know you say we shouldn't trade our food with our friends.....'

I could tell where this was going, and my nerves began to calm.
'Mom, I....*sniff* *sniff*.....have been eating my friend's brownies that her mom gives her. There is always an extra one and she always gives me one. And oh MOM! I HAVE BEEN EATING HER FOOD! I am so sorry Mom, I hid it from you and the teachers at school!'

Imagine my relief. Watching the news has corrupted my mind. I pictured the worst scenario for my 6 year old daughter, and she has such innocence, that this 'secret' had been tormenting her for months!

As any mother would rightly do, I hugged her, and told her how brave she is for telling me the truth. I hugged for so long as she cried tears of relief now, and I asked her, how does it feel to tell the truth, to tell this secret to me. She answered, 'I feel SO much better!'

Isn't that how it goes? We always feel better when we have owned up to something, even for a six year old, it's the same! We talked about how she can always tell me any secret, that Moms and kids don't really have secrets between them, and that she can always have a private talk whenever she wants. Being honest will ALWAYS elicit a lesser punishment, if a punishment at all.

God love her. As my mind raced for an eternity of a few minutes, her innocence was such a reminder to me, to protect that innocence, and that delicate conscious for as long as possible. What a reminder, to never jump to conclusions, to let the child tell the story and not help her along with a different version of the truth.

Comments

Leanne said…
So so sweet! Thank you for sharing that moment with us. What a special little girl you have. And she is lucky to have you, too!

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom