Skip to main content

1.....2.....3.....4.......5. Now Squeeze

Last night I shed blood.  Yep.  I was strapped up, bandaged and felt faint from the loss.  As others around me cracked jokes of what 'pretty colored blood' looked like and if I'd get a treat when I had recovered, I simply stared up at the rectangle ceiling tiles, and flickering lights above me.......



I counted....one....two...three....four.....five.  Now squeeze.  1.....2......3.....4.......5.   Now squeeze. And on it went, counting to five, tightening my hand, my arm......as I felt myself losing my life's blood.

Ok, I'll stop the dramatics.  I donated a pint of blood to Heartland Blood Center last night.  Other than the satisfying 'did my good deed' feeling, they were handing out gift certificates for Oberweis Ice cream.  I'm a fool for ice cream.  I even shed my blood for it. 

It's not the first time I've donated blood, but it has been a while.  Last time I went, I was denied, as they test your iron levels prior to donating, and my levels were too low.  I was still recovering from the Swine Flu.  Remember that?  Well, I walked away disappointed, but not because I wouldn't get their freebie gift, more so that, I had intended to be somewhat 'sacrificial'.  I had intended to do my good deed, and was denied. 

That got me to thinking.  Sometimes, we want to give of ourselves, sacrifice something important to us, and it isn't received just as we think it should be.  Sometimes, our generosity gets flat out denied.  And I want to scream....."DON'T YOU KNOW, I GAVE UP PUTTING MY KIDS TO BED FOR THIS?  AND WATCHING AMERICAN IDOL FOR THIS?  AND CUDDLES ON THE COUCH WITH H.H. FOR THIS?  FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, JUST TAKE WHAT I'M GIVING AND BE GLAD FOR IT!"

Last night was different.  Yes, I wanted the ice cream.  But since having been denied before, I left with a much different perspective.  I left feeling grateful for the opportunity to give something....anything that might help another.  I left thankful.  I was able to give.  On my way to Oberweis to claim my prize, I said a quick prayer, to bless those who will benefit from my simple gift.  Their struggle, their pain, their suffering is nothing like mine.  To need blood, to depend on another's generosity, to accept someone's gift for survival ......to be in a position to need blood, whatever that condition is.....is much harder than giving up one evening with my family.

And then, God gently reminds me.....of his ultimate shedding of blood for the sake of others, others who will not only reject Him, but scorn Him, hate Him, ridicule Him and abandon Him.  Knowing all of this.  He still wasn't deterred to show us what real Love looked like - what real charity is.

Giving of oneself isn't always as easy as donating a pint of blood.  Sometimes, what's needed is a quart or a gallon or your whole self to save another.  You may be rejected.  You may be accepted.  Either way, God knows your heart and knows your gift of self.   Even a small gift will never go unnoticed by the One who will bless you for it.

Now all together....1....2.....3....4......5.  Now squeeze.

Comments

Leanne said…
I really love this (and I know how much you love ice cream...as I recall meeting you in front of an ice cream place!!!) What a lovely reminder of the good feeling when doing something good. (Hope you enjoyed your reward!)

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom