Skip to main content

Gift Giving

I admit it, I'm not always the best at showing gratitude.  I never know what is the proper way to say 'thank you' for a specific kindness.   But I try.  I make small adjustments, send a note, make a desert, a meal or simply smile, nod and say my 'thanks'. 

When I was little, our family had a strict rule in regards to gift giving.  No matter the gift, no matter if you already have it, or if you don't like it, you smile, you say 'thank you' and you take the time to appreciate the person who gave that gift.  That person thought of you.  Went to a store for you.  Picked something out.  Paid for it, with their own hard earned cash for you.  Perhaps they actually hand-crafted it, spending their time and talent on you.  They wrapped it.  Perhaps tied a bow on it, and then presented it to you....all the while, hoping that they captured something that might delight you. 

The thought always counts more doesn't it?

That's what I was always taught.  Be grateful.  That person didn't have to get you anything, but they did.  Be grateful for whatever it happens to be. 

We have sought to teach our children that same kind of gratitude.  No matter the gift, say your thanks, be happy and appreciate the person who thought of you, through appreciation of that gift.

As of late, I have received birthday invitations from my kids' friends, and most times, there is a little note included that states that the child has actually registered at a toy store, picked out what they want, and it's been set aside for purchase as a birthday gift.

Hummmmm.  I'm struggling with this one.

Doesn't that miss the point, of actually spending the time contemplating what that birthday child might like?  And if the gift giver doesn't know the child well, then perhaps a quick call to the parent would help in the discernment process.

I know registries are a step in the bridal and baby shower process.  I get that.  I did register myself back in the day, but I tell you, it always felt weird, in essence to be telling my guests, friends or family what to buy for me......as if I wouldn't be happy with their personal choice of gift, I want this particular brand, color, size, quality etc.

I resolved my uneasiness with the issue back in the day, by telling myself, what I choose on a registry can send a message to those looking up my registry.  I can communicate to them, do I have simple tastes, or extravagant.  Do I need the basics or do I already have them, and just need the fun stuff.  Weddings and babies are major life milestones, and relatives who may not know me well, will want to send their love.  I get that.

But birthdays, I am having issue with.....

I simply can't bring myself to go to a toy store registry and purchase a birthday gift for one of my children's friends.  I guess, I simply think that it teaches the wrong message to my children.  I think kids need to learn gratitude, simplicity and appreciation for people over things.

As a parent, I know my children.  If I ever have doubt what to purchase for them, I ask them their opinion, and sometimes, they get what they desire.  Sometimes they don't.  That's life, folks.  And in the grand scheme of things, they should be feel grateful not feel entitled.

You aren't entitled to it.  You can't expect it.  If someone is kind enough to want to purchase a gift for you, and does it, then it's a blessing, and gratitude should follow.

Okay, so that's my rant.  Gift registries for children's birthday gifts are probably a store's way to get more customers, or an easy way to get something checked off the to-do list.  There's no thought involved, and I am determined to teach my children that each person is unique, special, and they need to spend time on them, if they really care about them. 

I guess, it's about allowing the gift giver to put herself into the gift.  Registering for toys takes the gift giver out of the process.  It tells them, I don't want what you think I'd like.  I want what I want, and you can get THAT for me.

Gift giving and receiving can be a truly dynamic aspect in a relationship.  Free from expectations, it can, in one fall swoop, tell each other, I accept you, I give you this gift from my heart to yours. AND I accept this gift from your heart to mine.  Putting conditions on a sincere desire to show love, just doesn't seem like love anymore, does it?

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom