Skip to main content

Fighting the Battles

Ya know, when I was a kid, my parents never knew if I ever trashed them to my friends.  I really don't remember ever doing so, however, I probably did.  I can imagine myself doing it, I just don't have a concrete memory of it.

As a kid, I knew the 10 commandments, I had to memorize them for CCD on Saturday mornings, however, I never really knew what they meant, never tried to apply that 'Honor Thy Father and Mother' teaching.  Over the years, though, as a parent myself, have seen how important this teaching really is, and have even made steps, as an adult, to uphold that commandment.  Better late than never.

My Carefree Knight had a situation yesterday, where he did a little trash-talking with his friends about his father.  I might never have known it, however, Thinker brought it to my attention, and as I asked Knight about what happened, my face showed all the disappointment I could muster.  After he was finished, I looked him straight in the eye and told him, "You broke my heart, buddy.  Can you imagine how Dad will feel when you tell him this?"

He didn't say much in response, as I could tell he was working to hide his tears.

I simply showed my sadness to him that his actions hurt his Dad, and so have hurt me.  I told him he would have to tell this truth to HH when he got home from work.

After dinner, Knight courageously asked for a private discussion.  He told Dad the full truth.  I was in the kitchen at the time, and unfortunately didn't hear the whole talk, however, Knight came out to get a Kleenex, and asked me if giving Dad $5 from his piggy bank would work as a good punishment. 

I told him, "You have to work out a good punishment with Dad, not me.  It's up to Dad."

His pleading eyes told me with no words, Please Mom, don't make me face the truth of what I've done.

I sent him back to Dad.  He had to face the music.

Knight came out with printed paper in hand, went straight to find a pencil and lined paper in order to write a few things down at the table. 

I didn't know what he was writing, I was pretty absent during this whole scene, (it had been a rough day, and I was exhausted and had pulled a leg muscle, doing what, I have no idea!)  and it IS tough to be absent.  I'm always the one involved in the formation process of the children.  But sometimes, I need to step back. 

Sometimes, the men need to work it out, just the men.  A Dad has expectations of his sons, and I don't want to get in the way of that.  There is a special relationship there.  I can't design it my way.

After Knight had finished his writing punishment, HH sat at the table, one on one, and discussed the writing.  I heard words like, "honor, obey, armor of God, truth, and righteousness and shield of faith".  Hearing this, I had a feeling HH was incorporating bible teaching with his role as a Knight of the Altar, and the expectations that God has for him, as a soldier.

This morning, I got a clarification as to what was written out, Ephesians 6.  Great teaching.

In the past, if ever any of the children talked to me or about me in a disrespecting manner, HH was quick to the rescue.  His stance, "You never talk that way to or about your mother, MY WIFE."  He is the protector, of me and the family.

When roles are reversed in this way, where HH was disrespected, I am still not the rescuer or protector.  I show sadness, hurt, and disappointment....and it almost always does the job.  The kids absolutely hate to see their mother saddened.  It's something in them, that cuts so deep to know that their actions have wounded me.  HH then handles the child with a formative lesson and we move on.

These dynamics may not work in every family.  I am sure that families have come up with various ways to teach respect and family loyalty in public places.  However, we have seen over the years, some dynamics really do work.  And sometimes these dynamics do go against what might come instinctively.

Sometimes, I want to be the protector, I want to fight a few battles for my beloved.  I want to be fierce, tough and willing to walk, shield and sword into the war of respect for my spouse! 

And then, I stop myself.

How do we support and encourage our husbands and sons to be fierce in the world, if I come to his rescue at every opportunity? The men are going to have to face a tough world, one that doesn't care, one that will cut you when you aren't looking, will step on you to get ahead...and so on.  That's the real world....and our men NEED TO BE MEN to live in and lead in that world.

It's their God-given mission to protect, it's in their bones to do so.  When they rescue their wives or families from some disrespect, they have WON a battle!  They have built a confidence in themselves, a new self-esteem and self-worth.  They are needed, wanted and honored.  As a wife, and mother, I can't rescue my husband, and then expect him to know that I need anything from him.  If I save him again and again, he'll wait for me to do it in the future, and will never come to rescue me.  I don't need him if I've taught him I can do it alone.

I could get slammed here.   I know it.  It goes against our secular society.  "Women should be strong and can fight for their men."  I can hear it now.  "Don't teach your son such old-fashion teachings", "Men CAN be wounded too and we can rescue them!"

I disagree.  How many men are out there that have no idea how to be a man?  How many men out there are abundantly successful, due to trials, battles and wars (figuratively and literally) ....they battled each one, and WON.  Someone had to ALLOW those battles, those wars.  And it usually isn't the kinds of wars we watch in movies....it's these little ones.  Someone has to ALLOW our men and sons to win some battles on their own...perhaps the battles in respect, honor or dignity.  The wars are different, however, are still powerful 'wins' for men in the great need they have in being our heroes.

It's hard to allow those we love to fight their own battles.  But in the process, something so valuable happens, that it takes a wisdom of a wife and mother to allow it all to unfold. 

I can't always save the day. I don't want to.  I want to see HH conquer the world for his family.  I want to teach Knight to follow his father into that war.  I want to see strong men....not boys that I will forever have to save. 

Everytime I want to usurp the authority, fight the battle, no matter how big or small, I make a conscious effort not to.  I send in my best warriors....and they get better by fighting for what's right.  They earn respect of all their fellow men.  They earn their medals courageously.  They even go so far, as to lay down their lives for what they believe.  They live and die by the love of their women.

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom