Skip to main content

She's Waiting for Me

Last time we sent a package to Locks of Love, I was overwhelmed by the maturity I saw in my Thinker, as her belief that 'Life is about sacrifices', touched my heart and moved me practically to tears.

Again, I see another child before me, wise beyond her years, sacrificing her long blonde locks for others in need.  I think Serious was moved by her elder sister, Thinker, who was inspired by a cousin...whom was probably touched by someone else's sacrifice.....It all gets paid forward....

Serious is seven.  She has always had this long beautiful, blonde hair.  She would brush it and enjoy how soft and luscious it was, telling me often, 'Gosh, Mom, I just love my hair!'

A few months back, she made a decision to grow her hair a bit more for donating her long tresses to Locks of Love, just as her sister had done a while back.  As a Mom, I always want to know their reasoning, their thinking behind such a bold move.  It's like I get a window into their heart and soul, when I ask the question of 'why'?

Serious answered me, "Mom, what if some little girl is waiting for someone to give their hair, and no one is doing it for her?"

"Yes," I commented, "Some little girl is probably waiting."

"I want to cut my hair for that girl...so she doesn't have to wait anymore.  I'll do it."

What insight.  People are waiting on us all the time, waiting behind us in line, waiting for us to arrive, waiting for us to touch their heart, waiting for us to show Christian Charity.

And Serious was overwhelmed at the thought that someone might be waiting on her, waiting for her hair.

I told her, "You know, honey, you do have very pretty hair.  Some little girl might be waiting for the perfect color of blonde, the right length, the most shiny hair.....and you do have it.  You are right.  She might be waiting."

This morning, we measured her hair, and we could safely cut quite a bit off to donate to Locks of Love.  I made the appointment and met Serious in the bathroom just prior to our leaving (Isn't it funny, most of our important discussions happen in the bathroom helping the kids with the hair!) 

I asked her again, "You sure, sweetheart?  You will look different, it will be shorter.  Are you ready for this?  I don't want to see you cry after it's cut off.  That would break my heart.....Are you happy about doing this?"

She gave me the biggest smile, brushed her hair, and told me, "Mom, it's hard to brush this long hair.  She's waiting for me.  We have to go."

Ok, I thought, this girl is determined, I'll stop stepping in the way.

The cut was quick and truly painless.  In the span of only two minutes she went from my seven year old little girl to my wise seven year old young lady, with a bob hair cut to match her growing maturity.  I was so proud of her.  We came home to the oohs and aahs of her brothers and sisters, and with Dad's thumbs up approval, she kept her smile on all day long. 

I asked her at one point in the day, "How do you feel, now that it's cut?"

She simply said, "I feel great.  She won't have to wait on me anymore."

I just love that.  Shouldn't it be always on our minds of who needs our act of kindness, love or generosity.  Shouldn't it compel us to act, to move to give, even when it's something precious, like our time or our energy.
Truly interesting, having done this twice now, is the different personalities in Thinker and Serious to take this major life change in different ways.  To Thinker, it was about doing the right thing, sacrificing because it's our duty.  For Serious, someone was waiting on her good deed, and she couldn't delay in the sacrifice, as someone needed her, waited on her, and hoped that she'd act.

As a mother, it's an amazing thing to witness my children give of themselves so freely, so uninhibited, so generously.  They are sensitive to the plight of others.  They see a need.  They fill it.  They aren't sitting there weighing the pros and cons of such a gift.  They aren't making two lists, to see which one is longer.  They don't debate it, they just give, and I believe there is an element of trust in these good deeds.

They trust some little girl will feel not only beautiful with some of their locks, but will be blessed by God, for the deeds were pure, selfless and generous.  They gain nothing by these sacrifices, nothing physical, that is.  But as their mother, I pray for God to bless these self-less hearts, that He might continue to guide them in this way...to give what's most precious.......to give without seeking reward.....to give to those who need it the most.

And....

I pray.....

that I might learn from them.  That I, too, might see doing my Christian duty, as if someone is waiting for me to do it.  As if God is depending on me to act.  As if no one else will fill the spot, but me.

Comments

What a sweetie she is! She really "gets it"--she had a way to help someone, and she wanted to do it. Now. Good for her!

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom