Skip to main content

Mother's Day and 300 Posts

How perfect is it that this post, this Mother's Day post is a milestone post.  It's my 300th Post....exactly. 

Perhaps that's not a big deal in the blogging world.  I really don't know.  But I tell you it's a big marker for me.  I'm a busy woman.  I've got enough on my plate any day of the week, that taking time to jot a few thoughts down, or inspiring moments, can be difficult. 

But then I look at my children.  I look at each of their sweet faces, and know that one day, they'll read these posts.  I know years from now, one of my kids will learn some truth of their youth, some truth of their faith, some reason of why we did what we did, and I'll know taking the time to jot a few things down was worth it.

I've heard and read so many critiques of blogging, norms or proper etiquette, dos and don'ts, and have come to a conclusion on the whole thing.  In the end, I never post something that I wouldn't want one of my children to read one day, when they are an adult.  That's my guiding compass.  That's my standard.  Would my children regret me telling this story in such a public forum?  Would they be embarrassed or ashamed?  That 'PUBLISH POST' button is a test of my own moral character as a mother.  Do I click in an emotional rage?  Do I carefully choose when and what to publish? 

I admit, I have come close to clicking that button when inappropriate to do so.  I admit, I've had to delete a post or two a few days later, when upon re-reading the account, realize, this isn't right.  I've lost my purpose.  The  DELETE button can be my friend.  It can save me and my children from embarrassment, from shame.  It can uphold what I've started here.  It can restore my dignity which was lost in a fury of typing fingers, spewing forth unhappiness, anger or even resentment. 

I've come to respect these two buttons in my life - PUBLISH and DELETE.  Both of which can do great things or terrible things.  I like to think of our Blessed Mother, on today of all days, Mother's Day.  It's her day too, ya know.  I try and take a cue from her, as she held all these things in the depths of her heart.  She KNEW when and which to choose.  She knew what to publish and knew what to hold close. 

Our Lady, guide us as mothers.  Guide not only our motherhood, but our charity, guide our Love, that we know when to speak, and when to listen.  Teach us what to share and what to hold quietly so as to protect ourselves and our children from unnecessary harm.  Help us set the example of prudence and right judgement.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Comments

Leanne said…
Really - what a fantastic post, and a fantastic way to keep yourself in check (by making sure that you write only what you would want your children to some day read.) And CONGRATULATIONS on 300! Can you believe that you have written so many thought provoking things and put it out there in the world? I know that I am amazed at it myself, when I look at the thoughts I've shared. I decided a long time ago that I wanted to try and keep my blog as positive as possible - knowing very well that I'm not always happy - but that in the end, there is always a positive lesson to learn from every situation. Really great work you are doing here, my friend. And CONGRATS, again, on 300! (And happy mother's day, too!) hugs!

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom