Skip to main content

Basement Playroom Begins!

Let's do a recap.  Do you remember our massive Purge last summer?  Do you recall our garage sale?  I tell you, we have slimmed down to the necessary and cleared a large space in the basement. 

Since August, this space in our basement is essential to my morning routine.  After running the children to school, Babe and I spend the next hour or so in this new found space.  I exercise, he plays while glancing at a carefully picked out show of his choice.  It's become a daily habit now, and the day just isn't right without that hour down there.  I've come to appreciate how this one hour of my day can change not only my levels of activity or waist measurements, it actually changes my attitude toward the whole rest of the day. 

They say exercise releases endorphins.  And I believe it does.  I feel better.  My attitude is one of 'anything's possible' rather than 'it probably won't work'....and that's big for a pessimist like me.  Oh, I mean, realist like me.  Even after a good lengthy workout, if my iPod tunes are just right, I might just get in a few minutes of activity with a good dance and laugh with the Babe.
Have you ever noticed that?   That more activity, while yes, can wear you out, it makes you happier?  Just feels good to sweat.  Isn't that strange?  But true.  It can set your whole day different.  I have more patience.  I have more energy and enthusiasm to conquer my tasks in the day.  It's an amazing thing.

Now, back to the basement.  HH has been working down there, framing it in, and soon, it will be wired up, drywalled, carpeted, painted and finished.  How about that?  It's a whole new living space.....like we just upped the square footage of usable space in our home.  I love that.  I really love that, and wish we had done it sooner. 
I'll be honest, it was hard to let go of so much down there.....in that sense of 'what if'.   What if I happen to need that one day?  What if someone I know could use that in a few years?  What if, what if, what if.  You can waste a life with 'what ifs'.  You can miss out on a lot, just waiting for those 'what ifs' to actually come true.  And if they don't?  What then?  Time has been wasted. 
I made peace with the letting go, and at times, HH had to remind me to not let too much slip away.  We have a manageable stash of storage, camping gear, Holiday decor, canning supplies and the food and paper products that we buy in bulk.  It makes sense.  We aren't waiting for something.  We are living in the now.
I can't stress this enough.  Living in the now, is like a huge weight lifted off of us.  Living in the now, enjoying our home, our family, our lives together, and using the space we have to do exactly that, is a gift.  Before I think, I stored that gift away, waiting for the future to come....waiting for time to free up.....waiting for life to come to me.  Over this past six months or so, my outlook has changed dramatically. 

They say you have to 'make time'.  I never really understood that saying, but I get it now.  It means to prioritize:  what's really important, and make it happen.  It's that pushing up the priority list, those items that have sunk to the bottom, but in all objectivity, you can see, they should be number 1, and not the last on the list.  It happens.  Things sink down, even important things, sink down the list, until you forget they are even on there, perhaps they even fall off.  It happens to us all.

You only have one life.  If you are waiting on something to happen before truly living your life the way you want or need to, or the way God has called you....examine your list of priorities.  Go deep.  Search within yourself, pray for guidance to see what God planned for you and your family.  Revise that list.  Then go step by step, take your time, and pray for fortitude. 

I never thought we could do it.  I never thought our once packed to the ceiling basement could now be a place for health, exercise, kids to play or have friends over. Step by step, with God's help, we have made pathways for a different future....one filled with a whole new bag of possibilities.  We let go.  It can be tough to let go of past habits or failures, but use the tools you have, to move forward.  If WE can, anyone can.  You won't regret it.   Not.  One.  Minute.

Comments

Leanne said…
Fantastic post, dear friend! And you will enjoy your new space so much ... just imagine all the NEW moments you have there, with family and friends! Love it! Good luck - and show pics when done!

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom