Skip to main content

Birds of the Sky....They Trust

pic credit: scienceblogs.com
Today's Gospel has always been a challenge for me. 

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,

what you will eat or drink,

or about your body, what you will wear.

Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?


Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,

yet your heavenly Father feeds them.

Are not you more important than they?


...


So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’

or ‘What are we to drink?’or ‘What are we to wear?’

All these things the pagans seek.

Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,

and all these things will be given you besides.

Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.

Sufficient for a day is its own evil.”

A mother's work is never done.  Planning is always in front of her, tomorrow, next week, next month and so on.  She's consumed with the duties of her vocation, and to live like the birds, ahhh, what's that like?
Today, after hearing this Gospel, I hoped for our Pastor to do a little explaining on the topic, and see what angle he'd bring to light, and truly allow me, as a Mother, to implement some form of this teaching.  Instead, our ArchBishop had a message for us all on the Annual Catholic Appeal.  Definitely homily worthy, to encourage us to help support the larger Church, yet, I left wanting.  I left Mass, today, not sure how to apply this type of teaching to my own life.

I do worry.  I do stress about mundane details.  I find myself, at times, consumed with the details, and then ultimately miss the bigger picture.  And then, I can thank HH for bringing me back to my senses, with a kind word about the birds of the sky.  Do they worry?

Well, of course not, they're birds.  They don't have homework to check, spelling words to quiz, house to clean, laundry to finish, or lunches to pack.  They are animals.  How can I possibly relate to their lives, whose lifestyle relies completely on some God-given animal instinct.  Fly South.  Fly North.  Make Nest.  Find Food.  Easy.  I can handle that.

What I wonder is how to live like that, and all the while, somehow, maintain some semblance of a happy, organized home, that not only allows for creativity but keeps high standards in virtue, education and spiritual depth...in that never ending effort to prepare children for a successful future.Ya know, I even Goggled the topic "birds of the sky Gospel teaching", to see who out there might give a little light on the subject.....Unfortunately, I saw many entries dealing with the unusual event of thousands of birds falling dead from the sky in various locations around the globe.

Ha ha, very funny.  That's not what I was hoping for.

Alas, I am on my own to find some way to interpret this teaching and make it applicable to my own personal life....stay with me, I hope to get somewhere....

Could it be the tendency to look backwards in the past, and have too many regrets, without making peace with them?   Could it be the tendency to agonize over upcoming, stress inducing, or nerve wracking activities and never allow for peace to find you?  Could we be losing the bigger picture....because we choose the details instead?

Could it be that our whole lives are filled with this food, this dinner.....lives filled with decisions on this dress or that one....lives filled with boxes of stuff in the 'what if' future?  Could it be that we live in the past or the future, but not really in the now?

Here's another angle:  Are we overly concerned with the details of our clothes?  Must we keep current on the latest fashion on the catwalk?  Do we keep tabs on the current fad, and make sure we are aligned correctly?  All of which is passing.   Yes, we should look good, for reasons of health, dignity and to please God and our husbands.  But do we obsess to keep up with the Jones'?  What's our motive? 

Birds of the sky don't have these concerns, obviously, which I can understand why God choose them to use as illustration.  They seem so free, don't they?  They soar high, then low, they see food, they go eat it.  They aren't shackled by finances, obligations or commitments.  They are here, then gone. 

Again, they are animals.  They get that freedom.  We don't necessarily have that freedom.  What we do have control over, is our own reactions to our shackles.  And it seems that God shows us the birds, because they have a certain peace, that perhaps we often lack.

And God tells us, in the Gospel, that "all these things will be given to you besides".  How He cares for us.  He knows we agonize on unnecessary things, yet will give them to us anyway....and even more.  He can give us that same peace that we see the birds with, in an effortless flight.  He can put rest and peace in our soul to give us distance from the details, objectivity, sensitivity or compassion when we need it most.  

Ultimately, I suppose I leave Sunday, but look to tomorrow, Monday with a new understanding....perhaps it's about TRUST.  The birds trust, that the food they need will be there, that the tools to make their nest will show themselves.  

Do we trust......enough?  Do we trust in the big things, but also the small ones? To me, trust, is a loaded word.  To trust means dependence, and I just wasn't raise that way.  I was raised to be independent, never rely on others, make your own path, succeed on your own, buck up, suck it up, and to quote Nike, "Just Do It". 

While, some might cringe to hear parents would raise a children with such a mindset - I can look back with a tad more wisdom to see that, I am who I am, because of all that.  I am a doer.  I get it done.  That's the gift.....but.....there is a downside.  The drawback, is that I rarely rely on others, even God to help see me through.  That takes a bit more practice on my part....which is probably exactly why this Gospel passage often stumps me, or even irritates me a bit. 
 
Again, I hear it again.  Learn to trust.  It just might be, the one thing, that I will spend my life trying to accomplish.  If we are all here for a purpose, that just might be mine. 
 
So I have to study the birds of the sky?  Bring it on.  I'm a doer.  I'll get it done. 
 
Yikes, I'm doomed.

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom