Skip to main content

The Perfect Storm

pic credit: gettyimages.com
A perfect storm takes many forms.  It can be the dynamics in the home, where peace eludes us until finally an explosion occurs.  It can be actual weather, as cold fronts meet warm fronts, or levels of moisture finally meet creating massive collisions of wind, rain, ice or snow.  The Perfect Storm was actually a movie a while back featuring Mark Wahlburg and George Clooney, that details a fisherman's boat filled with fishermen heading towards a massive hurricane on the seas.

For a mother, A Perfect Storm has many meanings.  Yesterday, I found myself smack in the middle of such a debacle and I was ready to throw in the towel. 

Silently a storm was brewing.  Subtle, inconsequential fronts were moving, and I admit, I didn't see it coming.  It's Catholic Schools week, and with the many activities planned, I thought we were prepared.  However, it's not unheard of to have a child or a couple of children neglect to mention that something major was due the very next day, which required supplies we don't have.

Catholic Schools week includes a Science Fair, and Thinker indicated that she wanted to put something together for the due date of Feb 1st.  Yesterday, the first day of any time to dedicate to this project, I took Babe over to my oh-so-favorite teacher's learning store about 30 minutes away.  Parking the van, I looked at the storefront, only to see they had closed up shop.  A hurting economy had not only affect my favorite learning store, many of the stores in this little strip mall had disappeared, emptied out, and now, only the larger anchor stores remained.

Undeterred in my mission, I called HH to ask him to Google another learning store in the area.  He found one, "SchoolKidz" - and gave me the address and phone number.  Success!  My irritation subsided for the moment, as I used my phone's GPS to direct me to the new location. 

Trying to plan ahead, I called the store's number to get a gauge on where they were located, how long they were open, as well as if they were still open for business, as I didn't want to make the trek, only to have the impacts of our economy have hit this one too, and they just didn't take down the website. 

I called the store, and a very friendly woman helped me with my directions, informed me they were in the middle of an industrial park and they were open until 5 pm.  Perfect, I thought, Babe and I will be done well before lunchtime and a potty break.

About twenty or more minutes later, I find myself following my GPS to a location, just as she described, an industrial park.  Making my way, I find the address, and park.  Sensing something wasn't right, I called the number again just outside their location.

"Hum....hi.  Is your store an actual store that allows customers to come in and purchase school supplies?"

"No, ma'am, we are under the umbrella of Staples, you can order something online though for us to ship out to you."

"Oh, thanks for your help."  Rats.  Foiled again.

Mentally thanking my handy GPS for finding my way, I begged the little screen to help me find my way out again, and hopefully to find yet a third location for school supplies, a display board for a Science project and perhaps, decorations to make it appealing.

While little Babe sat singing, "Jesus loves me this I know" behind me, it gave me that extra sliver of patience as I used my phone's browser to locate yet another schools supply store, "Lakeshore Learning" about 40 minutes now, from my current location.

I took a deep breath.  Lord, this is ridiculous.  Help me.  Help me.

And off we went.  I began to belt out with little Babe, "JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW, FOR THE BIBLE TELLS MMMMMMEEEEEEE SO!"  Gotta love children's songs for putting the right perspective on my increasing irritations.....my boiling and rising front.

This time, on our way, I called the store.  I made sure they were an actual store for customers, and asked what anchor stores are in the strip mall nearby.  A very nice woman answered for the store, and assured me, all I needed for Thinker's project was inside.  I drove with more certainty and relief.

The store was a dream, really.  The staff was extremely helpful, and I found all that I needed to help Thinker in her last minute Science experiment and presentation. 

As we left, I also said a quick, Thank you Lord, not only did you help me find an open store, you saved the BEST for last.  And Babe didn't even need a potty break this whole time!  Ah, little victories, they're the best.

Upon driving home, with Babe quietly nodding off to sleep, I began to think.  I spent all morning driving all over God's great earth to find a learning store, simply because my daughter left something to the last minute.  Now, I know, one day I may have to let her fail to learn an important lesson about procrastination, however, her excitement over this project, and our wanting to support her love of Science and her love of academia, prompted me to go to these great lengths.

Then I called HH.  I wanted him to know, how grateful I was to be able to do this for Thinker.  I was able to spend all morning in this pursuit.  Not all Moms can do that.  Some work - in various ways for a paycheck or in volunteering positions that don't allow for spontaneous adventures such as this one. 

Many times, we hear about children that are over-extended, in every club or sport and rarely have time to themselves.  What about the Moms that are overextended?  What about the Moms that volunteer for every committee, every opportunity to contribute, and then don't have the time to actually give their own children, when something unexpected arises?

Let me be clear, I volunteer, and am on about three different committees for our school.  Emails were flying about that day as I drove from town to town,  things that seemed urgent, that I could update online and be done so quickly.  But I let it slide.  I let it go.  Not all positions allow for that.  Not all jobs allow for that.  I am quite selective in the ways I volunteer.  They have to be just right, they have to allow for these last minute adjustments or a full day of waiting. 

But that's my choice.  I get to decide that.  I decide what I commit to and what seems too much.  Choosing to be a Stay at Home Mom demands that I make prudent decisions even where and when I volunteer for other organizations.  Being a Sahm, and making that choice to put my children first, before anything else, requires me to even put them before other commitments I may have made. 

That's tough.  There is a certain validity that comes with mingling with other adults, other Moms, or accomplishing goals outside the home.  It's a great feeling to know that you can contribute to society other than the children.  But - and that's a BIG BUT  - That great feeling should never take the place of your child's need for their mother.  Not just their mother, but that someone who is in their corner, ready to support, love and encourage....one who isn't side-tracked with a dozen or so other commitments.

The time is fleeting.  I feel like I always say that, but it's true.  Time with them while they are little goes SO fast, and there will be plenty of time and work to do once the children need us less.  That time will be there, later.  It will be.  And then we'll be wishing for these days again, when they were little, when they needed us so. 

After all that hubbablue.....running here and there, staying up late, last night to compile the project with Thinker, we have a snow day today....and probably tomorrow.  Yes, Lord, you will always be in charge, I get that, I SO get that!

Today, we are bracing for a Perfect Storm and supposedly by afternoon we should see the heavens open and dump a sky-full of white perfection.  We are in the calm before the storm, peaceful and bracing with patience and love for all of life's unexpected, unplanned surprises that challenge us, move us and motivate us.

Here's just a snipped from weather.com about our area on travel conditions:
* TRAVEL... ROAD CONDITIONS WILL RAPIDLY DETERIORATE DURING THE MID TO LATE AFTERNOON AS SNOW DEVELOPS FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE AREA. TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BECOME TREACHEROUS BY LATE AFTERNOON... AND DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS BY EARLY EVENING AS WINDS INCREASE RESULTING IN WHITE OUT CONDITIONS. SNOWFALL RATES WILL BE SO INTENSE AT TIMES THAT ROAD CREWS WILL BE UNABLE TO KEEP EVEN PRIMARY ROADS AND HIGHWAYS CLEARED. UNNECESSARY TRAVEL SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AS MORE THAN HALF OF THE FATALITIES IN PREVIOUS ILLINOIS BLIZZARDS HAVE OCCURRED AS A RESULT OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS. BEFORE MAKING THE DECISION TO TRAVEL... CONSIDER IF GETTING TO YOUR DESTINATION IS WORTH PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.
Amen, Lord, we know your power and strength, please, protect those on the road.

Comments

Just want to let you know, if I read your blog in a reader I am fine. But going to your site, the second I scroll down to see below the header, I am switched to a little "I prayed" prolife logo that hogs up the whole screen.

If you email me at cookbookmom AT gmail DOT com I will send you a screenshot. I was able to get here because my reader allows me to open the comment window.

And the real reason I wanted to get to the comment window was to say THANKS for such a great post. I am a great believer in giving my children the gift of "availability." Yes, I help at the schools, and with the spring track team when one of my kids is on it. But my family is, and always must be, my first priority.

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom