Skip to main content

Celebrating Life and Death

Yesterday we celebrated our little Babe's 4th birthday, and as he blew out the candles and ate his cake happily, I couldn't help but to think how four years have flown by in a breeze.  I still remember showing family members in the hospital his little feet and toes, to quiet 'ahhhhs' and 'ohhhhs', and how I held him for hours on end,  giving others a chance to hold him, only when my arms ached from cradling him. 

And now, he's a big boy.  He is his own person, own sense of humor, his own preferences, and vocabulary to express himself.  It's a wonder that four years have indeed past so quickly, and quietly.

It was a day full of celebrating life, this boy's life, and entrance into our family.  It was rejoicing in this gift of personality and talents that God had given him, and to us, through him.  It was a joyous day, with the other children, too, giving Babe gifts they had made or loved themselves and were ready to pass on.  Birthdays are meant to be just this, celebrating the gift of life this person has been to us, gratitude for the life God gave us, the chance to be with him, to love him and to know this individual, so perfectly chosen for this particular path in life. 

Juxtapose yesterday with today.

Today, HH received a call, of a childhood friend lost to cancer this day March 3rd 2012.  I had mentioned this friend back near Thanksgiving, a few months ago, and today, he lost his battle with this disease.  HH and I have sat today, moments here and there, sitting and contemplating this young man's life, 28 years old, to already be on his journey toward Home.  I have sat, several times, and shook my head in disbelief. 

While his pain may be over, his family and is parents' pain is just beginning.  I can not fathom the loss of one's own child, no matter the age, a parent should never bury their child.  It's not right and it doesn't make sense.

As we prepare ourselves and our children for an upcoming wake and funeral, I mentally prepare theological questions that I predict will come from my eldest children, who yearn for explanation and understanding from God's perspective.  I am ill-equipped.  I have little answers, as God's plan is infinitely bigger than the speck of my imagination. 

All I can think, is how we celebrated our little 4 year old's life yesterday, and a funeral will do something similar, as well.  It celebrates the life this man had, the gift of his unique personality, his gifts, his time with us and his family.  Not with cake and candles, but we do come together in order to recognize this individual's mark, his stamp on humanity.  His life was important to God's plan, or else he wouldn't have been born.  So, while we mourn, we remember.  His mother will mourn and remember his tiny toes and feet when he was born, the countless times she held him in her arms, or gave him words of comfort or support. 

Most of all, I hope and pray that this family will remember and celebrate the 28 years they did have with him.  I hope and pray they can see how his life, however short, was lived in fulfillment of a greater desire, of God wanting him to live, and how blessed we were to have those years.

Though perhaps this will come later, perhaps the shock and anger will subside and a sense of God's hand, His mercy in ending this man's pain, will come at last.  Perhaps a quiet night of retrospection will have this family looking past these fresh emotions of loss and suffering, to a new understanding of how fragile life is, how God is giving a chance each and every day to turn to Him, to search Him out, in order to find true comfort.

I sit tonight with a heavy heart.  How easily our little Babe floated into our lives as though he had always been here, and yet, can be blown carelessly into 28 years in the blink of an eye.  It makes me sit and enjoy every moment I have with those I love.  It makes me treasure them, every little story and knock-knock joke they tell.  It has me grateful for each and every year that God decides to give me with them, that it is not yet their time. 

And truly, the time is simply borrowed from God.  These past four years with our little Babe, well, they were borrowed time.  God gives us each day, each year as a gift.  Each child in our home, each day with my beloved husband is a present that we can either treasure and rejoice in, or squander away with complete disregard for God's gifts. 

Make a choice today.  Do I recognize today, this moment as God's gift to me, or is it simply another speck in time, moving slowly across my life that I waste out of my own ingratitude.

Death happening near us, makes us think of these things.  And it's good to do so.  And it's good to teach our children, bring them to funerals in order that they too, have a real understanding of not only the fragility of life, but the reality that God has a plan, for each and every day of their lives, God has a plan.  It's important that they know that each day is an opportunity to give it back to God, to use it as He would have us do, because we don't know when or how many days God will bless us with.

May eternal rest be granted unto his soul, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon him.  May his soul
and all the souls of the faithful departed, rest in peace.  Amen.

Comments

I'm so sorry for your loss and will keep everyone in prayers. What a beautiful post. And yes, do bring the children to the funeral. They will learn to do an important Work of Mercy, to comfort those in sorrow.
Anonymous said…
We are praying so much for your family and for them. Much love. What a beautiful reflection too. Thank you for sharing.

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom