Skip to main content

When To Say When

Over the weekend we had the pleasure of going to Zing, Zang, Zoom - Barnum and Bailey's / Ringling's Circus. We have gone the past few years as a yearly tradition and the kids love the sensory overload of lights, sounds, tricks, animals, clowns and performances. I'd never gone as a kid, and I tell you, it truly IS the greatest show on earth.

While at the circus we had a big group sitting directly behind us, and over time, became more and more rambunctious, as the majority of the group were children, accompanied by a few adults.....all women (no dads, which you'll find interesting as you read on). Certainly the circus is about having a good time, but before long, the group directly behind us got out of control. I can handle others being loud. I can handle a few random kicks to my chair. I can handle all the distraction. What I can't handle is when my children are in the mix of their 'good time'.

It's hard to know when to say 'It's enough'. Repeatedly a few of the mothers behind us, tried to reprimand their children, I admit, a weak attempt at that, with no luck. I sat, forgetting about the feast before my eyes, and began a debate in my mind, what is the proper thing to do or say to these kids. Or should I just ignore it all.

Well, something very quickly made up my mind for me. Two kids directly behind me and my 5 year old decided it would be fun to pull on mine and her hair....not just once by accident...but repeatedly....when I figured out what was happening....that was it for me.

In one quick motion, I turned around, looked them both in the eye and said loudly, "Don't touch her, just leave her alone, NOW. I mean it. Don't touch her again!" I then moved her up closer to me with my arm around her to send that all appropriate message, touch her again, and you'll be having a bigger problem with me.

Mother Bear? I guess so. I was livid. They simply said it was an accident, but knowing better, having seen and heard their conversation, I was fit to be tide. Before long, these children had enlisted their mothers for backup, as I heard, "Mom, that lady is MAD at us. It was an accident!"

Oh, how I was just waiting for one of the mothers to confront me on yelling at their child. As the circus came to an end, I had my lines ready for confrontation. As we stood to leave, these two kids did apologize to me and my daughter, which I did appreciate. However, if no one ever teaches good manners in such a public place, one day these kids will get a more severe lesson, I can guarantee it, and it won't end as well as ours did.

I completely regret the need to discipline others people's children. It's not my place, not my responsibility. I only have any real authority over my own, and let me tell you, if my children came close to that kind of behavior, we'd never visit the circus again. However, the line was crossed when they thought they could put their hands on my child, and hurt her.

I don't feel the need to discipline other children. I DO feel the need to show my 5 year old that I love her enough to stick up for her. I DO feel the need to teach my child she is valuable, she is worth good treatment, and deserving of respect. And no matter the consequences, or what confrontation I was preparing myself for, I taught my daughter a lesson at the circus. Her mother is there for her, will protect her, will defend her, and stand in the way of anyone trying to disrespect her.

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom