Skip to main content

Realities of Child Abuse at Our Dining Room Table

Last night's dinner brought with it a 'not-so-carefree' Mr. Carefree.  His ordinarily happy, easy going nature was replaced by a pensive look and demeanor.  Something was on his mind, for sure, which, by his thoughtful stare, let me think he's struggling to understand something that may have happened at school.  I let it go for a while hoping he'd tell me without my asking, and sure enough it bothered him enough to speak up.

A little girl in his class was different from the rest of the kids, and I remember asking him at the beginning of the year, what was so different about her, and he couldn't really tell me, just that she quiet, shy and kept to herself.  For him, that was enough to not be bothered with her, as he loved to get out his energy at recess and be outgoing with his friends. 

Carefree began to remind me of this little girl that was different from the rest, and I assured him, that yes, indeed, I remembered her.  He said, "Mom, she told me today that she was adopted." 

My response was to be expected, "Ok, lots of kids are adopted.  Does that bother you?"

His response next literally had me speechless.  He said slowly, looking right into my eyes, "Mom, she used to have a mean Dad.  He used to kick her a lot, and they took her away from him and now she has a new Mom and Dad.  Why would a Dad do that?"

My heart broke.  What to say.  "Gosh, I don't know, sweetheart.  That's not right."
He answered me, "I KNOW!  Dads are supposed to be fun, like our Dad.  I am so glad my Dad is nice.  I don't want to leave."

What thoughts he must have been pondering....It put knots in my throat.  "Honey, you aren't going anywhere, trust me.  Mom and Dad would never do that to any of the kids.  You know that, right?"

Carefree: "Yes, I know."

"Some kids have had a hard life.  Does it help you to be her friend, now that you know she had bad things happen to her?"

Carefree: "Yes, I can be her friend.  But I don't think she wants to talk about her old Dad anymore.  That's what she said, she doesn't remember any more things."

"That's fine, you don't have to, just maybe invite her to play ball with you some time, so she knows she has friends at the school."

Carefree: "I can do that."

And just like that, Mr. Carefree's happy personality returned, though my disposition was quite disturbed.  I guess I just wasn't quite ready for my seven year old son to bring something tragic like this home, and have to explain why some parents lack right judgment, or if he might get sent away after some punishment in our home.  Yikes. 

As much as the instinct as a Mom is to shelter the kids, the world won't wait forever.  These are the ways these different realities are learned, from a friend at school, from the playground, from a cousin, a teacher, an uncle and so on.  The Stay At Home Mom at Work should stand ready, ready to see an opportunity for a life lesson, and run with it. 

I wasn't quite ready.  But, thankfully, I was there.....I got to look him back into the eye, and assure him, nothing will happen like that in our home, that he's here to stay, and that very important virtue of compassion.  Every day he will see this little girl in his class.  Every day, he has the opportunity to show compassion, friendship, understanding and joy.  I hope he takes these opportunities.  I hope in those precious few minutes at the dinner table, I was able to give him a sense of security, love and obligation to reach out to others.

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom