Skip to main content

“Diary of a Wimpy Kid” vs “Diary of a Delicate Conscious”

For the past few days, Thinker has been challenging my authority. Thinking that our Spring Break was long and so fun, I gave her a bit of slack as it can be tough to get back into the grind of daily school schedules.


Thinker brought home a book from a friend yesterday. I saw her reading it in the car, thought nothing of it, as her teacher often gives reading assignments to the class. But….. this wasn’t one of them.

At home I noticed that this book was occupying her time and distracting her from just about everything else. When I asked for the book she was reading, she suddenly got nervous and said, “It’s a book from my friend.”

I asked, “Did I approve this book for you?”
She said, “My teacher has the same book.”

I asked her to bring it to me, to which she made a scowling face. I said, “Now.”

She brought me the book, “The Diary of a Wimpy Kid”. Immediately I was suspicious. I instructed her to start homework while I looked over her new book.

I can see why this book and its series are attractive to kids. The illustrations are cartoons and the language is what they can relate to. This is what makes it so dangerous. It takes lack of morals or lack of manners and colors it up to look fun and inviting.

However, upon skimming a few pages, I quickly saw how inappropriate this book really is. She had read half the book, and I know, that she knew, it wasn’t acceptable reading. I only gave this book a few minutes of my time, which was probably too much. However, in my few minutes of seeing this boy describe magazines with women sprawled across race cars as well as mocking his own mother in this ‘diary’, I knew, enough was enough.

I informed Thinker, this book is not approved and that Dad would be talking with her later that night.

I called HH. Knowing my emotional response wouldn’t teach her what I needed her to learn, I asked HH, to somehow incorporate the message of what reading junk will do to her mind and soul. I asked him to teach her that she has a choice of what to fill her mind with.

Does this boy’s example inspire you to do your best? Does this book help you to do the right thing?



After dinner last night, HH began his formative lesson with Thinker. And let me tell you, it was brilliance. As she was studying for her tests, HH gave her a Chinese salty plum, which is like a Chinese candy, but has a strong tasting mix of sweet, salt and vinegar which demands a drink after only a few minutes. After having her suck on it for a while, he gave her another one. She asked for a drink, to which he said, “No.”

I never knew how the face could contort until I saw Thinker last night, sucking on these salty plums. It was obvious she was not enjoying this experience, and for the life of me, I couldn’t figure what direction HH was heading.

After about twenty minutes, and her thirst probably unbelievable, HH brought three cups to the table.

One cup had hot clean water.

One cup had cold clean water.

One cup was full of ice.

He also brought a spoon full of coffee grounds, some sugar and some pieces of bread. He asked her, “Do you want a drink of water?”

She said, “YES! Please!”

He gave her the hot water. She took a huge gulp, slammed it down, and said, “Yuck, it’s hot.”

He asked her, “Yes, but it helped your thirst didn’t it?”

She answered, “Yes a little.”

He added a little bit of cold water to the hot water. “Now try this.” He said.

She did and told him it was a bit better. He also added the ice and then some sugar which made her eyes widen with joy and expectation waiting for a drink. HH then poured his coffee grounds into the water cup and mixed it up as well as some coffee. Thinker making a confused face just watched in silence. HH then tore up pieces of the bread and put it into the warm, brown mixture. He stirred it. Thinker said, “Gross, Dad.”

HH said to take a sip. Thinker said, “It’s gross Dad!”

HH said, “Take a sip. Tell me how it is.”

She did, and told him it tasted gross.

HH then filled the cup of leftover ice with cold water and put it next to the brown mixture. He asked her, “Which one do you want to drink?”

Still craving liquid to quench her thirst, she asked for the nice, clean, cold cup of water. He asked her, “How do you think this drink will be?”

She smiled big.

He told her she could have it.

After gulping the cold, clean water, and now recovered from her parched taste buds, HH turned on the formation. He went on to explain how what we read can turn our minds and souls into that brown, cloudy mixture of muck. We have choices to make. We decide how to fill our minds and souls. He asked her, “Which one of these cups do you think you should fill up on?”

She pointed to the clean water cup, of course.

HH went on pointing to the warm, brown mixture, “When you read junk or watch trash your mind turns to this.”

Thinkers eyes began to well up. *bing* She understood.

HH finished saying, “When you come to making a decision of what to read or what not to read, think of these two cups, then make the right choice.”

Thinker was handed a saint book to read to clear her mind of all that she absorbed from the “Wimpy Kid”. I, for one, will be keeping much closer tabs on the reading choices of my children. Our ‘Work’ is never done.

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom