Skip to main content

Our God is a God of Second Chances!

Today, with HH coming home late from work, and having fallen asleep on our recliner, I quickly realized dinner was no where in sight.  I had about fifteen minutes to create something edible, which I knew was literally impossible.  I made a quick call to our favorite 'So Fast, You'll Freak' Jimmy Johns, and I ordered a sampling of all the good stuff.  It's one of the kids favorites, and I couldn't be happier when they request J.J.'s rather than McD's.

With dinner being served, and kids munchin' on their favorites, my little Serious, decided to show her colors in the only way she knows how.....Seriously. 

Serious:  Mom, this is the best dinner!
Mom:  I am glad you like it.
Serious:  You're the best, Mom.
Mom:  Why, because we got fun dinner tonight?
Serious:  No, because sometimes I want to do things the way I want.......  And you want me to do things the way you want. ....... And I think my way is best.  And you think your way is best.
Mom Confused:  ...ok....?
Serious:  And I really do think that sometimes your way is the right way, ......and not my way.......  But, oh, it's hard to say.  I JUST CAN'T SAY IT!
Mom:  You like the way I take care of you?
Serious:  Yes, I am sure you know the best way, I guess...I wanted to say that.
Mom:  Even though you got in trouble today?  You still think it?
Serious:  Yeah..., even though I was in trouble...
Mom hugging Serious:  Thanks honey, I am glad you told me!

Mr. Carefree wants to join in now.....
Mr. Carefree:  Mom, I know why you're the best.
Mom:  This fun dinner?
Carefree, trying to come up with something:  No, because....because.....
Mom:  I got your favorite, BLT?
Carefree:  No, Mom, you always let us try again after we get into trouble.
Mom:  Oh, of course you can always try again.  We've got to give you a chance to make better choices, right?
Carefree:  Yeah,...and..... well,...... the BLT IS delicious!

Jonah - A VeggieTales MovieBoy, kids pay close attention don't they?  I sat amazed.  Serious had a light bulb above her head at dinner, and at six years old, that's saying quite a lot.  She actually verbalized an understanding that sometimes her way isn't the right one. ...that she sometimes makes mistakes, which, with her personality is a huge realization.  And Mr. Carefree, seeing the whole drama unfold today with Serious in trouble, then at dinner, he chimed in, and understood a profound teaching that we try and implement daily.....that ability to try again.  That chance to do better, make better choices, to apologize, forgive and move on with hopes of a brighter day.

Children are so good at forgive and forget.  It's more difficult for adults, as we protect ourselves all too often, put up defensive walls, and guard the heart like a fortress. 

I used to be that person.  I used to cut off the people who wronged me.  If you wronged me, I don't need you.  And my children.....my beloved little ones have taught me so much......and with a deepening Faith, God has shown mercy countless times for me.

What kind of mother would I be, if I cut them off when they wronged me?  As many times as I have made my own mistakes, these children, have not only forgiven, they trust again.  They trust ME again, even when common sense would tell them otherwise.

Since I have been forgiven, so should I forgive.  It's not easy....for sure, it's not easy.  But it's a part of our Faith, truly, how many times did Christ give a second chance to those around Him.....every time, didn't He?  The woman at the well, Peter who denied Christ three times, the guard in the garden, the woman caught in adultery, and all the rest.  Even Judas, had he resisted despair, would too have been forgiven.

To quote a favorite Veggie Tale, 'Jonah, the Movie', "Our God is a God of second chances!"

Comments

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom