Skip to main content

Livin' Off The Land

Every now and again, I feel a certain kinship to the folk from "Little House on the Prairie".  Over the years I've experimented in all sorts of ways with gardening, canning, cooking, baking, sewing and all those other many little duties of a Stay At Home Mom. 

Yesterday and today, I had yet another first.  Having made pumpkin pies for years, I was excited to once again be coming to the pie season as Thanksgiving creeps up on us.  I would always use pumpkin from the can....always.  It makes good pie.  We all enjoy it.

However, having bought pie pumpkins this year, I decided to cook them up, puree them like baby food, and make my very first "made from scratch" pumpkin pie.  As I dug out the pulp and seeds, (saving the seeds for roasting), steamed the chunks of pumpkin, removed the skin, then pureed the pumpkin into a creamy yellow mix, I felt a sincere, "waste not, want not," attitude come over me.  Only the stringy pulp and skin was thrown out. 

I made at least 15 cups of pumpkin puree, using only 3 small pie pumpkins. (Isn't that color amazing?) I decided to freeze the extra for anytime that we are craving some pumpkin pie, or pumpkin muffins or pumpkin bread.

As I opened my freezer, I noticed a trend in there.  I've got bags of apples frozen from our apple picking adventure ready for apple pies.  I've got bags of raspberries the kids collected all summer from the backyard in there too, hopefully I figure out how make jam with those.  I've also got a few bags of tomatoes in there, extras from the garden, blanched, all ready for some spaghetti or lasagna sauce.  Now, I've added these pumpkin bags for future use.  Living near a big city has turned me into a farmer.

I tell you, I have come to absolutely LOVE livin' off the land.  Not that I am ready to swear off electricity as my beloved deep freezer holds all my homemade treasures, but I certainly understand the appeal of a more simplistic, homemade living.  Everything just tastes better, looks better, and makes me feel better, healthier, more aware of how things are made.  And in the process, my children get a bird's eye view of what all goes into the food they eat, where it comes from and why less processed food is healthier for them.

Excuse me, I better go, I have an indescribable urge to bake bread. 
To all you Farmers out there, I salute you!

Comments

Leanne said…
WOW!!! You are a regular Martha Stewart, ma'am!!! ;)

I love that you did this! So cool. I'm right there with you for alot of the goodies in the freezer, but I have never been brave enough to do the whole pumpkin puree thing. LOVE the color - and I bet those pies are going to be DELICIOUS!!! Ooooo!

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom