Skip to main content

Dying to Self

The end of the school year has always brought with it a series of events, one of which is Field Day.  This beloved tradition, that even I remember in my own public school days, has been a favorite of my children for years and years.  The day includes relay races, team competitions, a rented DJ for dancing, BBQ, treats and deserts and so much more.  This year, a new addition was brought to the Field Day activities:  Face Painting.

Oh, how all the school children lined up in a hurry for this newest treat, my children included.  While for some, attention was diverted for a time, others enjoyed the skill and artistry of this patient and talented face painter.

The day was hot.  The sun was searing and most tried to find relief in the very limited space of the overhang of the school building.  Without a cloud in the sky, temperatures raged on up over 100 degrees.  The children were pouring water over themselves and even the adults were finding creative ways to endure the heat.

And then, my Serious, seven year old little girl came to me with such a sadness on her face.  I asked her what the problem was, and she said she hadn't gotten her face painted yet.

I told her, "Go stand in the line, honey, you'll have to wait."

She answered, "Oh, Mom!  I have been, but so many people are cutting in front and I'll NEVER get there!"

Let me tell you about Serious.  She's a thoughtful and compassionate little girl.  She never forgets anyone and tends to the details that we all usually forget.  But she has a tendency to lose her cool when things don't go just right.  She has a conviction with justice that overwhelms her, and her emotions.....well.....let's say, we've been working on her controlling her temper and frustration when things go awry.  This day, she kept her calm, she was sad, however not angry, not frustrated, just sad about the whole situation.

I told her how proud I was that she kept her calm and just came to get me. 

Walking with her, I found the long line for face painting, then scanned the crowd.  Okay, I thought, I better do something for her.  Who would cut in front of a mother, an adult? Ok, I'll stand with her.

I looked into her pleading eyes, grabbed her hand, and said loudly, "I'll stand with you!"

The line actually moved quite quicker than I had thought it would, but in the heat of the day, it was like slow motion.  Children behind us were inching closer, closing any gaps, and as I saw a few children, once behind us, now standing in front of my Serious, I grabbed my daughter, pulled her next to me, and put both hands on my hips, trying to make my stance wider.  No one was getting through my fortress.  I would get my girl to the front, waiting our turn and not allowing any more cutting in line. 

Good grief! 

Serious and I were silent.  She looked up at me and smiled with her bright red cheeks, and sweaty palms squeezing my hand.  "We'll get there, I promise," I said.   She nodded, and mentioned something of the heat.

Yes, it's hot.  I took a mental inventory of the state of my person.  I felt the drips of sweat slowing descending down my back.  My shoulders and arms were on fire from the sun, and I could see the start of a nasty sun-burn.  I wiped my forehead free of sweat and search the crowd again for one of my other children or my HH so as to bring some water for us.  No one was in sight.  Then I looked at Serious, fared skinned, blond hair, Oh, dear, she'll fry out here.  I pushed her into my shadow, and told her to stay there, out of the direct sun.

Looking over at the many mothers under that school overhang, fanning themselves, drinking ice cold water, and having idle chit chat, I longed to convince Serious to give up this wait.  I longed to sit under in the shade and enjoy the smallest relief it could give.

And then it hit me, just as fierce as that hot sun, a responsibility of my vocation, that I offered up for my little Serious that day.  A mother must die to self.  Watching so many walk by with Popsicles and snow cones, my body rose another degree, and my skin was offered to the sun as a sacrificial protection to my child.

Alas, we found ourselves second in line.  I turned my head for an instant, dropped by hands from my waist, and sure enough, two boys cut in front of my Serious.  Acting fast, I simply moved those two boys out, Yes, I physically put my hands on their shoulders, looked them straight in the eyes, and said, "There is no cutting boys.  That's not nice.  Look, so many people have been waiting in the sun.  You can't cut.  It's not, not nice."

The whole line behind me shouted, "Yeah!"  The two boys gave me their dirty looks and they moved to the back of the line.  I searched to find the mothers of these kids, no luck. They were no where in sight.  Feeling slightly guilty at my actions, I looked at Serious, and she smiled the biggest grin I've ever seen.

I told her, "Child, you are next!"

The mom standing behind me, whispered in my ear, "Good for you!  Way to Go!"

I smiled, and said something like, "Well, we are just being fair.  You have stood here too, in this heat."

Serious got up there, had her face painted, and afterwards, she hugged me, seemingly to understand the protection I provided her the past hour of waiting in line.

Field Day continued on, and I feared retribution from the mothers of these two boys, and what I could possibly say in return that would be appropriate and thoughtful.  I had nothing.  Then I realized something.  These boys weren't going to run and tell their mothers that they had done something wrong.  At the very least, I sent the message, this mother wouldn't allow cheaters.

I talked with my Serious at home that day, told her that I was proud she waited in line with me without getting upset.  She told me, "Mom, I was kind of embarrassed."

I said, "Why?  Oh, when I pulled those boys out who cutted?"
She said, "Yeah, I was embarrassed."

"Yes, honey, I know, but what they did was wrong.  And that's why I stood with you, so that you'd finally get to the front of that line. If they kept cutting, you'd never get there!"

She answered me, "Yeah, I know.  I felt weird about it.  But I guess I am glad you did it."

Music to my ears. 

The next few days, and yes, even today, I still suffer with this sunburn on my shoulders and arms.  It was in that line, that the sun fried my skin.  In was in that line, I had my epiphany.  So many times, as mothers, we offer ourselves in order to suffer for our children.  It's a unique and holy vocation:  Motherhood. 

The sacrificial notion of this calling is often overlooked when we get past the obvious sacrifice of our bodies in pregnancy.  Consider all the times we surrender our own comforts for one of our children.  Think of the times we forfeit luxuries in order to teach justice, fairness or the dignity of a human person. 

Motherhood is just that grand of a God-given calling.  Giving of ourselves in these ways, dying to ourselves each and every day, whether in big ways or small ways, not only perfects us as Christians, but as mothers.    It tells a love story like no other. Our actions, our forfeit of our luxuries tells them how great our love is for them. It has the power to tell our children without any words, You are worth it.  You are worth my time and sacrifice. 

While suffering with this burn is difficult right now and even sleeping is tough, I'm grateful for the lesson I found on that Field Day that no snow cone or time in the shade could have given me.  I found a worth and a value in my vocation that I took for granted, that I never saw as clearly as I do now. 

Thank you Lord, for giving me a glimpse of your sacrificial Love.  I might have sacrificed my skin, Lord, but you gave it all.  Help me to be more generous, and in turn show my children what real and lasting Love looks like.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This was a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. It spoke deeply to me. I'm going through an issue on sacrifice right now. I'm the mother of three little girls (ages 3, 21 months and 2.5 months). All of my pregnancies went very late, I've had 1 c-section and 2 VBACS. I've gained MANY pounds with each child and as my children are very close together I hardly get it all off before starting it again. I'm immensely proud of my girls and I love being a mom (I'm a SAHM).
Since my husband got married 6 years ago we'd always talked about having our kids close together and have 4 kids. After each kid we said we'd talk about our circumstance and decide if another one was right for us, it always was. Now after having our third I'm feeling as if our family is complete. I know it could still be the stress of having such a little one.
I spoke with my husband about it last night and he got very upset. He wants to have another child and constantly talks about having one soon even though I've said I'd like to wait much longer for the next IF we have the next.
Basically his point was that as Christians we have a responsibility to allow God to give us as many children as He wants. I agree of course but as we're using NFP its designed to allow us to chose a stopping point for ourselves still leave ourselves open to God's will.
My point with all this rambling is that I feel like being a mom is my calling and as such then shouldn't I be willing to sacrifice more sleep, my body (both through pregnancy and post pregnancy body issues), and patience in order to bring more children into this world? I just wonder if I'm being selfish. Any insights? lol Sorry to fill up a comments area with my wordiness!
Sahmatwork said…
Dear Anonymous -
How I wish I could send you a personal note of encouragement, but with no email,... choosing to stay anon is understandable, as my whole blog is this way!

Congratulations on your beautiful family, I can tell you work hard, the ages alone make you one busy Mom!

There is a legit concern on giving your body time to rest. I've had a few kids very close in age, and while, yes I survived, it was tough, not only on my body, but mentally. My now, six and seven year olds are Irish twins, and that first year was a kind of torture for me as I had two other older kids too, to tend to. Looking back, would I do it again? Of course. I wouldn't trade these two girls for anything. But did the older two suffer that year, as they certainly didn't have their mother as much? For sure.

I once asked a priest friend for guidance on this exact issue. Do we keep accepting life as gifts from God, and end up with 13, 14, 15 kids as some families that we know of. His answer was interesting, as he said, "God gives us an important part in the procreative process. He trusts us to make these kinds of decisions for ourselves. Free will, and all. Not the kind of free will that is good vs evil...the free will to choose between a good and a good."

That struck me. God trusts me. Yikes. Hope I don't blow it! lol!

In the end, HH and I consider all factors when deciding on more children......financial, mental (for me), our ages, and so many others that can impact the decision, as you are well aware already. Also, keeping in mind, are we sacrificing the children I already DO have, in order to bring more into the family. The children I already DO have need so much. If we are called to give more, perhaps we are being asked to give more of ourselves to the ones I already have.

I do think it's key to be on the same page, and come to agreement together with the spouse. A united front is paramount. Can I suggest something? Go over the Church's teaching on this together with your hubbie. I assume you are Catholic? ....Perhaps the Catechism of the Catholic Church is a resource, as it discusses this in detail.

Lastly, selfish? NO WAY. Considering the ages of your children and your love of your family, I consider you extremely generous! And I don't even know you! Which ever you guys decide, God is always asking us to be generous in all those ways you mentioned....it's up to you and your spouse HOW you be generous.

So that's my long winded insight, hope some or any of this is helpful. I hear you, on so many fronts, I too, 1 c-section, 4 vbacs, and have wrangled with the 'more children' dilemna. I pray God blesses us both with a slice of His wisdom and grace.

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom