Skip to main content

Spilt Milk & The Power of Grace

Never take for granted the power of Grace.
My hubbie and I just celebrated our 12th anniversary, and for quite a few years now, we renew our vows yearly on or around our anniversary. (With the odds 50/50, it just makes sense to get that Grace to keep on, keepin' on.) Yesterday was Sunday and we were up earlier than usual, got ready for mass and off we went. Our Deacon, who has frequently been the officiant of the renewal, takes us in the chapel next to the church, and with our children surrounding us, we renewed our vows...in good times and bad, in sickness and in health and all the rest. It was really beautiful to have our growing family around us, witnessing their parents re-commitment.

On our return home, we figured out plans for the rest of the day, letting the kids play outside while my HH and I watched Sunday afternoon football. As the day progressed, my son, who recently had croup - had a return visit of a nasty cough, with each time he took a breath. Evening dinner came and went, and my HH and I decided to snuggle and watch a movie in the evening, in celebration of our renewed vows.

We put the kids to bed, and waited for some much needed cough medicine to kick in for the poor boy, and it just never did. Meanwhile, a thunderstorm began to develop, just at the same time as our son made his way into the bathroom to get a drink of water, and hum......also to start the next couple of hours of vomiting up dinner.

Suddenly the wind picked up - weather warnings announced, and a tornado watch was in effect....and then so quickly, it turned into a tornado warning, with hail, wind and sideways rain. All at the same time as my son is throwing up in the bathroom, my HH begins washing his sheets and PJ's....oh and by the way, I was on the phone too! What bad timing!

He finally settled to sleep at around midnight, and my HH and I finally watched the end of the movie....before we crashed into bed for only a few hours sleep, when my son was up again with the cough.

So this morning, we kept my son home, and got breakfast rolling. I had just brought, to the table, the Oberweis FULL GLASS bottle of milk for the cereal, when, it suddenly crashed onto the table and broke into hundreds of glass pieces with milk flying everywhere.....Oh Please, can we Please, get back on track? This is the last straw, I am going to LOSE IT.

With thankfully, only one of my kids getting drenched in milk, and shards of glass all over the table and floor.....I looked at my HH, and with no words, we went to work: grabbing towels to begin clean up and shooing the kids in the other room away from the glass.

I say HH for a good reason....and here's why. Imagine the scene, milk is everywhere, glass pieces everywhere, my sick coughing son is soaked in milk, and I have only about a half hour to get kids ready to go to school. My Hero Husband is just that, my hero for mornings like this. We are both exhausted from the night before and frustrated at the mess that now has to be cleaned up. But even in his sharp, black suit, he helps pack the lunches, and starts mopping up the mess, picking up glass, and feeding the baby so we can be on time. Finally we get to a point where things are under control, and I take over, and he leaves for work.

We made it to school on time this morning, and anything I had planned for a Monday was thrown out the door. I Pine Soled the kitchen tile, and got the rest of the tiny bits of glass, wiped down all the chairs, and even threw a load of laundry in. And now, the house is at peace, three kids napping, my son's cough has subsided enough for him to breathe well, and the kitchen is clean.

Yikes.

These times are when you look back and see truly God blessing us in a special way, in that moment we renewed our vows. I can imagine any other day, we would have let the frustration of split milk get to us. And so, even though our night and morning was spoiled (no pun intended), I think we received a special gift of grace yesterday, that allowed for us to work as a team, a partnership, a marriage. I saw us working as one united pair, working for a common goal, supporting each other in moments when we want to scream, stepping up at the exact moment its needed.

You know, I think even writing on this blog is a way to put down and think it all out, truly the gratitude I feel when I think of God giving us these gifts, when we need them the most. He's the silent third party that is the glue, the substance, the meaning to any marriage. He's the one dying to give us the Grace we need to be the spouse He expects of us.

Comments

Leanne said…
Wow . . . what a night. Believe it or not - I actually had similar scenario last evening (with a 2 1/2 yr old waking at 1:00 AM with a fever, to follow with the unpleasant vomiting scenario, and then 6 yr old waking at 5 AM w/nose bleed.) I sat this morning being thankful for my HH, who was right beside me taking care of our children (so interesting, isn't it? Two people in separate homes going through similar experiences at pretty much the same time.) I've been experiencing an overwhelming feeling of gratitude towards my HH, and the blessings I have been sent in my life. Hope your child is feeling better. (And happy anniversary!)

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom