Skip to main content

Where were you when? We Remember 9/11.

There are certain times in our nation's history that we know exactly where we were when we heard the news. Many will be able to recount exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard JFK had been shot. For our generation: Sept 11th will be the day that we never forget. Tomorrow being the 11th, brings to mind that exact moment in time when we saw our nation attacked on the morning news.

I was at home, with my first baby on my hip. My HH had called me to tell me to turn on the news and I stood stunned in disbelief. I then called my sister to tell her to turn on her TV, and as she did, I watched the first tower crumble. She got her TV on just in time to watch the second one fall to the ground.

As I sank to sit on the couch, feeling my knees give way - I began to cry - as I suddenly realized, how many people were probably still in those towers. As we all tried to make sense of it all, even now, it is difficult to comprehend.


At the time I was helping to lead a Moms Prayer and Study group called, Familia, and I didn't really know what to expect, or how to help these mom's look at this event with eyes of Faith. The question came up in our group, was how to deal with the obvious truth that many of these people could have been far from God and had no idea that Sept 11th would have been their last day. What comfort could I have given to ease the pain of my truthful answer......
1 Thessalonians Chapter 5
1 Concerning times and seasons, brothers, you have no need for anything to be written to you. 2 For you yourselves know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief at night.
3 When people are saying, "Peace and security," then sudden disaster comes upon them, like labor pains upon a pregnant woman,and they will not escape. 4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness, for that day to overtake you like a thief. 5 For all of you are children of the light 1 and children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness. 6 Therefore, let us not sleep as the rest do, but let us stay alert and sober. 7 Those who sleep go to sleep at night, and those who are drunk get drunk at night. 8 But since we are of the day, let us be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love and the helmet that is hope for salvation. 9 For God did not destine us for wrath, but to gain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live together with him. 2 11 Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, as indeed you do. 12 We ask you, brothers, to respect those who are laboring among you and who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you, 13 and to show esteem for them with special love on account of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.14We urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, cheer the fainthearted, support the weak, be patient with all. 15 See that no one returns evil for evil; rather, always seek what is good (both) for each other and for all. 16Rejoice always. 17Pray without ceasing. 18In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. Thanks to http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/1thessalonians/1thessalonians5.htm

As mothers we can only work with what we've got. We can only pray for those lives lost and hope in God's mercy. More specifically, I encouraged these women to let this be a wake up call for us all. We can work with the children God has given us, teaching our children, we never know the day or hour when we might die....and that we should always stand ready to greet our creator. The sacrament of Confession keeps the soul ready, as like a thief in the night, we never know when, where or how our time is done. We can live in hope, and not in despair, for if we have a prepared soul, and taught our little ones to make ready, then what have we to fear?

For so many of us, we remember when and where we were that tragic day, for me and I hope for the ladies of Familia that session, they will remember a tragedy that sparked a new readiness in them and their families. We never know, there is a harsh truth to that fact, and delivering that message is tough, but necessary. Sometimes we have to be scarred into action. We should fear the loss of our soul and the souls of those we love.

Eternal rest grant unto all 9/11 victims, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon them.

Eternal rest grant unto all 9/11 victims, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon them.

Eternal rest grant unto all 9/11 victims, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon them.

May their souls and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God,
Rest in Peace.
Amen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome post!! I love it! I tried to be a follower but it won't let me so I'll try later.

Renee

Popular Posts

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Nihon - Thank You Japan

First, I apologize.  It's almost been a week since my last post, and life certainly has a way to take me over.  Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank You We have many commitments, many places where we have promised our time and energy, and when sickness sets in for me or anyone in our home, life pretty much stops....for little while anyway. Thankfully, the illnesses are down to minor colds, and as of yesterday, I am off the meds to treat a sinus infection.  But that's not all.  It's re-enrollment time at school, and every March we face the same uncertain future in debate...Can we swing yet another year's worth of financial commitment to our Catholic school, for four children. It's a stressful time, it's uncertain, and I have to say, that security is something I thrive on.  Any insecurity, and I tell you, life just isn't right.  With the children unaware of our finessing the budget, we work to keep that calm and peace that assures the children all will be well. 

Words Can Hurt

When we first started having children, like most people, we realized quickly how they often work as a mirror to our own actions. Letting a swear word slip here or there was not uncommon in our home, yet, when our first child was about 18 months or so, and hearing my swear word echo in the house for several days from her little lips, well, it was enough to curb my speech, dramatically. And now, swear words are never spoken in front of the children, and we have adopted a few more words that are unacceptable in the house, even though common place in the world. Just another example at how, as parents, we truly are the domestic church. The world may be on the path of negativity, but the home is where we make the difference. My four year old the other day, said, "I hate tomatoes!" Not the worst thing to hear from her mouth, granted, however, the word 'hate' bothers me a lot. 'Hate' is a very strong word, opposite of 'Love'. Think of how strong that word, 

Little Guys and Big Things

Sometimes, Veggie Tales stick with you. Even when an 8 year old seems too old for Veggie Tale stories, and reluctantly watches a few, the messages do stick.  Over the weekend, my Knight was to serve Mass.  For the past few Sundays he has been serving, and we keep reminding him of the various ways to show reverence while doing his duties.....a bow to the tabernacle, folding of the hands and so forth. Sunday, I happened to be watching Knight lather his gel in his hair to ready for Mass, and I once again, reminded him to keep his reverent ways about him while serving.  He made a distinct face at me, and said, "Ugh, Mom, those other server boys are bigger than me.  I don't want to do something they aren't doing." "I understand, but you could set the example, because you know, what you are doing is the right thing." He shook his head, looked at himself in the mirror, and seeing his own image reflected, said again, "I'm the youngest one there, Mom